- Joseph’s origin story starts with giving tuition to children on various topics
- His learning journey, starting with technical training for customer support and product training. Developing a love for teaching and learning about oneself in the process
- Recognising that adults differ from children in learning, and adults’ resistance to change
- His experiences contrasting formal, structured learning v/s self-led, nudge-based, coaching-when-needed styles
- Learning early on about having empathy before influencing learners
- Understanding Instructional Design through learning, teaching, formal training, mentorship and practice
- As workers and workplaces evolve, designing learning for them is becoming more complex
- Managing information overload with timely coaching, intervention and mixed learning approaches
- Joseph’s role in providing Learning Infrastructure, the evolution of learning technologies
- An end-to-end view of learning, from learning design to delivery, and technology platforms
- Keeping pace with your target audience, catering to different learning formats
- A Netflix-like experience on their learning experience platforms, alongside traditional catalogue selection
- Integrating with commonly used tools, like Microsoft Teams
- AI to deliver better learning experiences
- Effective learning, especially post-pandemic, for working professionals
- Why course completion rates do not necessarily correlate with the effectiveness of the course or the learning
- Like some readers discard a book after reading interesting bits, some learners may quit a course after learning things they want
- The importance of topics, organization and content to make learning easily consumable
- Advice for aspiring learning designers and professionals
Joseph Chinnaya is currently the Director for Learning Tools & Technology at NetApp. He has played a variety of roles in his 25+ years-long career in the learning domain. Joseph has been a Trainer, Instructional Designer, Content Development Manager, Regional Training Manager (APAC), and Global Sales Enablement Manager. Joseph has pursued his passion for learning & teaching while working with companies like GE, Microsoft, and NetApp. He has been a member of global learning communities such as ATD, eLearning Guild, Josh Bersin Academy, LinkedIn Learning, Coursera, edX, TSIA, and CEdMA. Joseph is also a jazz guitarist, always looking to co-create musical memories with his friends and family.
Contact Joseph on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephchinnaya/ or via email Joseph@Learnytt.com .
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.